Australia’s health sector is embracing supply chain reform and making significant progress towards an interoperable system that delivers substantial quality and efficiency benefits for providers and consumers.
Supply Chain reform is needed because:
- There is a lack of standardised product identification
- There is a lack of standardised location identification
- Multiple product data catalogues are maintained per hospital, per hospital network and per state
Poor supply chain costs the health system money:
- Wrong product ordered/delivered
- Wrong quantity/poor forecasting and inventory management
- Redundant purchasing tasks, inefficient work practices and less accuracy without automation.
NEHTA is leading the way through the National Product Catalogue (NPC), a central repository of accurate, standardised information about products from large medical devices, to consumables and medicines, along with an eProcurement solution designed to streamline the electronic purchasing process.
- 336,418 Products listed on the National Product Catalogue
- 464 Healthcare suppliers listed on the National Product Catalogue
The four pillars leading Supply Chain reform are:
Updates, News and Events
- Find out more about: Supply Chain - Updates, News and Events
National Product Catalogue
The NPC provides suppliers with a single mechanism to communicate standardised and accurate product and price data electronically to Australian health departments and private hospital providers.
- Find out more about: National Product Catalogue
The NEHTA eProcurement Solution is a standards-based national approach for business-to-business (B2B) electronic trading across Australian healthcare organisations.
- Find out more about: eProcurement Solutions
Recognised as the first model of its kind internationally, Locatenet is an electronic location directory service which facilitates direct communication between organisations wanting to source medical goods, equipment, devices and pharmaceutical suppliers from the National Product Catalogue.
- Find out more about: Locatenet
Recallnet is an electronic product recall notification management system for therapeutic goods. It is being rolled out to improve patient safety through streamlining product recalls and non-recall notifications for therapeutic goods.
- Find out more about: Recallnet